- It’s great exercise–easy on the joints when done properly. You can get a great workout without stressing joints or spine.
- You can have peace of mind when you are involved in activities around water, whether you’re on a jet-ski or at a pool party.
- If you can swim reasonably well, you can teach others to swim. This site can help you teach your family members or friends.
- Strong swimming techniques are the keys to safe fun in body surfing, open water swimming, rafting, Boogie boarding, sailing, surfing, snorkeling , SCUBA, and more.
- Because it’s essential on a planet that is 3/4 ths water!!
Learn from an Experienced Waterman
My goal is to help people be safe and enjoy the water by offering useful information on this website, and also via group and individual swim lessons (More on Lessons). To contact me or comment on anything on 1000 Swimmers, go to the contact page.
This site is updated regularly, and the Postings page has a wide variety of swimming topics.
I have been an avid swimmer since my father taught me the basics as a 7 year old. This is the “I & I “pool on
the Vermilion County Fairgrounds in Danville, Illinois. It is long gone, but I still have vivid memories of those days.
Over the years, I have taken courses at the YMCA and YWCA (stroke techniques), Red Cross (lifesaving), college (techniques for teaching swimming), SCUBA (PADI) certification, Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI), and Red Cross CPR-FirstAid.
My “waterman” experience includes:
- teaching beginning swimming to 5-13 year olds and college students
- lifeguard at pools and open water lakes
- pool management, including maintaining the filtration systems
- SCUBA diving in Hawaii and San Diego
- snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef of Australia
- competitive swimming in age group, Masters, and college intramural meets
- extensive open ocean swimming and bodysurfing at San Diego beaches
- 15 years of sailing experience (incl. Sunfish, Hobie Cat, Santana 22′) on lakes and along the coast of San Diego